Monday 27 July 2009

Has anyone ever read any vintage Playboys?

They are seriously good! There are articles about sexual and gender difference, things about women rights and feminism- the whole she-bang (ho ho ho). Even the photos are of a much better standard, and the pubic hair much, much more dense and ever-present than the squeaky clean, slightly stomach churning shots of today's Men's Mags. I am thinking of investing in a job lot on ebay if I ever come across them. There is at least two hours good reading in each one. And when I say reading, I don't mean time spent in a toilet cubicle or in your locked bedroom with a stapler holding it open on the centre fold. I mean actual reading, of the tremendously written (and exceptionally lenghty) interviews (the one I read was from 1976 and had a particularly amazing interview with David Bowie) and of the articles which range from (very good) smutty humour to gender politics.

1 comment:

  1. unfortunately, I haven't come across an old copy of Playboy yet, but I have to say I am intrigued. And iterview with David Bowie! in Playboy! sounds too good to be true... But I also found out about the higher entertainment value of men's magazines (as opposed to the run-of-the-mill women's ones) when I bought a copy of Esquire on a whim.

    ReplyDelete